Barbara Gordon, in my opinion was one of the strongest characters in the DC universe. She started out as Batgirl but had to quit after she was shot in the spine by Joker and paralyzed from the waist down. She quickly overcame this and took on the name Oracle, working behind the scenes. She worked mainly from her computer but was an invaluable source of information to not only Batman but the Justice League and the Birds of Prey, a group of female heroes which she helped lead. Not only did her mental strength come in handy but she proved her physical strength many times over. She was able to take out League of Assassin members single handedly and stop criminals breaking into her home
She held this role for nearly 20 years until the reboot stripped her from all the strength she had acquired since The Killing Joke. She has now regained the use of her legs almost miraculously, was never a mentor to the two Batgirl's since her, and never led strong teams. She is a child again. This is why I refuse to give my money to support DC's decision to remove not only the strongest female in their line-up but one of the only handicapped characters.
OH HEY LOOK AT MY PRETTY LEG I CAN USE IT AGAIN! YOU SEE IT? RIGHT THERE! MY LEG! (this is pretty much the first three issues of the new Batgirl series in a nutshell just to save you some time and money)
--I would however like to point out that I did love Barbara Gordon as the original Batgirl. She was great in the role but now it's just different. She is not the same Batgirl she once was and I feel the reboot was detrimental to her.


No comments:
Post a Comment